Saturday, February 22, 2014

Who wants to visit some retirement homes with me?

Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. (James 1:27 ESV)

I was driving down the road the other night and passed an assisted living/recovery facility.  Let's just call it what it really is, it's an old folks home or "nursing home".  The smell inside isn't pleasant, the people inside seem to be a shell of what they once were, it's the last place on earth I would want to expose myself or anyone else to.  If I had to describe it to someone, I would bluntly say "that's where you go to wait and die so you don't burden anyone else."  What a terrible thought !  The longer I drove, the more terrible of an idea it became.  God loves those people just as much as He loves me...then came a quiet whisper...what could I do to share God's love with those people?  The thoughts came like a flood, I could go and play guitar for them for a few hours each week, I could spend time with some of them, speaking to them, getting to know them, and praying for them, play games, do arts and crafts, and on and on the ideas came.  This is completely out of my comfort zone, I don't even know where to start, but if you are interested in helping or can point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate it...kind of funny how I've been really digging into James 1 this week, and then tonight's verse hit me in full color...funny how God works!

No comments:

Post a Comment