Thursday, September 18, 2014

Because He first loved us

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. We love because he first loved us. (1 John 4:18-19 ESV)

Have you ever been afraid?  I know that I have...many times in fact.  Growing up, my father was a policeman, I was afraid daily that he may never come home.  I've had friends who have committed suicide, friends who have died of illness, car accidents, and on and on...and to a degree, there is fear in my heart that this could happen to anyone close to me.  My flesh tells me to put up walls, to guard myself against the pain of loss by not developing the relationship to begin with.

I am so convicted by, and at the same time, encouraged by this passage from 1 John 4.  Specifically, "We love because he first loved us".  Think about that, let it really sink in.  Our ability to truly love is directly linked to all that God has done for us.  I admit to having much fear about loving others.  I fear being embarassed, letting others down, being a burden, being perceived as needy, etc.  I think I could fill pages with all of the things that I fear on just this one topic.  The problem with this is it is not scriptural!  "Whoever fears has not been perfected in love".  I deeply want and desire this. I have the capacity to love others (I do love others, just not as much as I feel called)).  

Bottom line, we can love because Jesus loved us...and that's a cool deal!  Let us embrace it, own it, learn it, and execute it.  Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment