Friday, January 31, 2014

Don't talk back, LOVE back

Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness. Whoever loves his brother abides in the light, and in him there is no cause for stumbling. I am writing to you, little children, because your sins are forgiven for his name’s sake. (1 John 2:9, 10, 12 ESV)

This week has been a rough week.  I made the "mistake" of sharing somethings with my 5 year old daughter while in the car.  I told her that I had been yelled at all day long at work, and that no one was greatful for the hard work that I put in.  While putting her to bed, after reading her the Bible and praying with her, she asked me "why did you get yelled at?"  I explained that sometimes people are frustrated and even if you have done nothing wrong, their frustration may lead to them yelling at the people closest to them because they don't know what else to do.  This was a difficult thing for me to try to verbalize and explain...then it happened, God spoke to me through my 5 year old little girl when she said "Don't talk back...LOVE back!".  I'm amazed that at 5 years old, she understands that loving people is more important than the words, reasons, or actions by which we tend to justify our actions...and I heard God's voice.  Tonight's passage from 1 John echoes this sentiment.  Praising God tonight for such a gentle, humble, and perfect reminder to....simply "Don't talk back, LOVE back!".

No comments:

Post a Comment