Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A pocket full of mumbles, such are promises

Ephesians 5;6

6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

I have always struggled with being able to accept compliments.  The second a kind word is offered, my mind starts racing asking questions like "what's the angle?", "what are you buttering me up to get?", etc.  I've learned through the years to smile, say "Thank You", and try and change the subject.  The part of me that is distrustful of compliments lends itself to me having a problem giving compliments.  I wrongly make the assumption that others will feel the same, that I am after something, working an angle, etc.  Ephesians 5 talks much about avoiding crude speech, sexual immorality, and company that practices these things.  I keep coming back to verse 6, "Let no one deceive you with empty words".  

All sin begins with deception of some kind.  Think of all the times in life that you have (myself included) justified your actions or interpreted something differently to make it "ok" in your own mind.  This type of semantics is deceiving oneself and this justification of sin is a good example of "empty words".  I feel this is why "peer pressure" is so rampant in our society, words can be used to make anything more attractive .  I remember when I was a kid being told "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me"...What a deception that is!  I've gotten myself into more trouble over words than just about anything else in life.  If you want an example of how true this is, try spending a day without speaking and see how much less you sin.  

Simon and Garfunkel have a song lyric in "The Boxer" that rings so true to this scripture "A pocket full of mumbles, such are promises".  If our promises are just empty words with no hope of fulfillment, that makes us deceivers.  It's like the boy who cried wolf, how many times can we not fulfill our word before we become known as one who doesn't live up to their promises?  

If we would spend our time focusing on fulfilling our own spoken word to others and being honest with ourselves in our own internal dialogue, our words would no longer be empty, but fulfilling, edifying, full of grace, centered around the incomparable love of Jesus. 

I don't want anyone to read this and end on a down note, so let me remind you that Jesus already paid the price for our sin on the cross.  He has washed us white as snow and He has cast our sin as far as the east is from the west.  Jesus is at work in your life.  He will change you, He IS changing you, when you spend time in His word and in His presence.  Amen!

Phillipians 1;6
6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment