Friday, April 12, 2013

Folly

For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. (1 Corinthians 1:18 ESV)

I remember going to church as a child and being annoyed when I had to stay in the adult service instead of going to the children's area. In "Sunday School" things were put in my language and it made it easier to understand. I. Remember asking very pointed, yet honest questions about scripture and then having my questions dismissed as foolish. Many years later, I was the guest at a youth group, and I asked a question that was clearly not doctrinally acceptable and I was corrected in front of the group and then pulled aside and given a stern talking to. The end result of the stern talking gave way to an understanding that I was simply asking a question as a non-believer, not trying to stir up trouble. This experience has stuck with me my entire life. It serves as a reminder to me that the message of the gospel can be completely missed by many unless we take the time to share, answer questions, and invite people to meet Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment