Today I was walking across the street in a crosswalk, when a car came came around the corner rather quickly. I paused to allow the car to pass, but instead the car came to a stop and the driver motioned me to cross. I waived as an acknowledgment of gratitude and crossed the street. I expected next to hear the car accelerate rapidly away as a gesture of impatience from the driver, a final "I'm in a hurry you know"...but it didn't happen, the car gently drove away...I was amazed. Why was I amazed? I think it is because that I know if I were the driver, it is likely what I would have done. I never really gave it much thought until this morning, but what message does that send to the person who you just motioned across the street when you rev the engine quickly as you drive away? It certainly isn't gentleness or self-control.
This simple life experience from this morning brings to mind something even more important...being deliberate in our actions. We need to mean to do what we do, if we are going to be patient, don't be rushed or hurried about it, if we are going to be gentle, don't be forceful about it, if we are going to be kind, do so without placating the recipient, if we are going to be self controlled, let us not do so in a way that puts others down, if we are going to love, let us love unconditionally. Whatever we choose to do, decide to do it with the purpose and goal of glorifying Christ. I know for me it starts with deliberately looking at each action in my life and asking the simple question "How could Christ be better glorified through <insert activity>. I know for starters, I won't be speeding away after being gracious and waiving someone across the street, I will instead be extra vigilant to demonstrate gentleness and self control. Maybe the person on the other end will have a similar thought as I did today and it might just make their day.
No comments:
Post a Comment