Thursday, October 31, 2013

Brewster's Millions

25 Whom have I in heaven but you?
And there is nothing on earth that I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail,
but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
27 For behold, those who are far from you shall perish;
you put an end to everyone who is unfaithful to you.
28 But for me it is good to be near God;
I have made the Lord GOD my refuge,
that I may tell of all your works.
(Psalms 73;25-28)
Tonight while reading this passage, I was reminded of the movie "Brewster's Millions".  The premise of the film is a poor man inherits a million dollars and must spend it all, keeping nothing for himself, and as a reward, he will be granted many times more.  Through out the movie, we see how difficult it is for Brewster to give away the money.  Many of the things he chooses to spend the money on turn into material possessions, thereby making them problematic for the contract.  Tonight's passage in Psalms is much the same.  Just like Brewster, who had to give up everything to attain the prize, so must we give up everything to inherit the Kingdom of God.  We must start viewing this world as if we are on the way out vs. on the way in.  We should seek to be giving away all that we have to glorify His kingdom, vs. striving day in and day out to try to obtain more "stuff".  The nature behind the heart of these actions is key.  Let us strive to give up everything to bring glory to Him, vs. striving to attain everything in order to give him a tiny piece.  

No comments:

Post a Comment