Chapter 13 of 1 Samuel details the accounts of Saul's fall from power, he no longer honored the Lord, or obeyed His commands. I think the verses 3&4 point this out quite well "Saul blew the trumpet throughout all the land" & "Saul had defeated the garrison of the Philistines". Saul was taking credit for all that God had done, he was now making decisions on his terms, not following God and waiting on God to lead. This ultimately cost Saul everything.
There is an old quote that goes "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" and throughout history, it can be seen over and over and over again. Even David, the man after God's heart, allowed his power to become a stumbling block at one point (story of Bathsheba). Power does not reside in men, it resides in God almighty. Any power that men think they have has been granted to them, and ultimately, it has been granted for a greater purpose than to give any man glory. Often times it may be difficult to see the why behind it, as God's ways are not man's ways. Throughout the Bible, we see many wicked leaders that were in positions of power and God used it as a means to unify & reproof His people.
Though power tends to corrupt men, true power is in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. When men realize that they have no power without the triune God, then God's work is most magnified. When pride is not the motivator, but rather giving glory to the Almighty is the motivator, this makes all the difference. Jesus repeatedly taught people not to seek out the position of Glory, but instead to be humble. We are to seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with our God. Jesus, who was fully man, and fully God, and thereby had true Power, walked among us and demonstrated what our lives should look like. Our lives should look like a sacrifice of praise, a reflection of the power of God, in humility, not glorifying ourselves, but instead glorifying God.
When we (myself included, always remember that I'm talking just as much to me as I am to anyone else) find ourselves in positions of power, we should ask ourselves the following questions:
- How can I most glorify God in this position or situation?
- What people can I surround myself with that will help keep me accountable to that which God has called me to do?
- How will I insure that I maintain and grow my walk with God amidst the demands of this position?
- Am I willing to give someone else the reigns in a moments notice?
- Is what I am about to do what God wants and will it bring Him glory?
- What is more important to me, my glory or His glory?
The above are by no means an exhaustive list. Notice that these questions are both planning and heart check type questions and I'm sure there are many more that you can think of. Our end goal is to bring God glory in all that we do. Sometimes it is easy and clear, other times it is difficult and each step is made in blind faith while following Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment