Friday, November 29, 2013

Watchmen

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning. (Psalm 130:5, 6 ESV)

Have you ever kept watch until morning?  This was a common thing for me as a child during backyard camp outs.  Everyone would get tired, and we would assign someone to keep watch and at the prescribed interval we would switch shifts...I don't think we ever made it through an entire night without someone falling asleep.  Fast forward to my adult years and I have had many a sleepless night watching over my daughter and my wife, making sure they are ok and that I am here for them if they need me.  I compare these two moments in my life in light of tonight's passage.  Every time I kept watch, I longed for the morning.  The times when I was able to stay awake were when I had concerns for my family's well being...and even then, it was a true challenge.  I relate to the Psalmist when He says that His soul waits for The Lord more than watchmen for the morning.  Let us always be ready for the Lord's return and let us be ever watchfull, for each minute that passes brings His coming ever closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment