Sunday, November 3, 2013

Fuel and air

“You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. (Matthew 5:14 ESV)

Tonight, while putting my daughter to bed, she asked me a question (as she does every night).  Her question was "What's inside of fire?"  I explained that fire requires 2 things to exist, fuel and air.  Fuel being the actual object that is on fire, and air being needed to allow the fire to continue to burn.  Without either of these 2 things, fire can not survive.  Tonight while reading in Matthew 5, our conversation came to mind.  The question in my mind was slightly different, instead of "what's inside of fire?", the question was "What kindles the fire of Faith in Christ?"  Think about Matthew 5:14, the light is so bright, that a city on a hill CANNOT be hidden.  That's a powerful statement.  In thinking this through, I think the answer is not dissimilar to my daughter's question, the 2 things that kindle the fire of Faith in Christ are fuel (Our heart, mind, and soul) and air (God's word, prayer, worship, living our lives the way He wants us to). I'm over simplifying this I am sure, but I think this is a great starting point for self diagnosis when things aren't going well.  If our light is burning dim, or our fire seems to be going out, we need either more fuel (commitment of heart, mind, body, and soul) or more air (God's word, prayer, worship, Living out what He wants us to).  Look at these two areas and make some adjustments, then watch as the fire is reignited.  He has called us to be the light of the world, let us be sure our flame is burning well.  Fuel and air...both are required.

No comments:

Post a Comment