Wednesday, June 5, 2013

God is always selling...

But Moses said to the Lord, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue." Then the Lord said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord ? Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak." (Exodus 4:10-12 ESV)

I have spent the vast majority of my life in sales.  I can tell you that  Moses' response to God telling him to go is called an"objection".  I can also tell you that what God replies with is a classic example of overcoming an objection.  Let's break it down, God is the product, Moses is objecting saying "I'm the wrong dude, you know you don't want me!". 1st God lets Moses know that the objection was heard, 2nd God asks a series of qualifying questions to Moses to make sure they are on the same page and that Moses understands that "He" (God) is actually exactly what Moses needs.  3rd God ties it all together and assumes the sale.  This might seem a bit dicey, but that's how my brain reads this passage.  

I love that we get to see this dialogue because it shows us how huge we make our imperfections and how well God knows us, that he can so masterfully respond.  God is the master salesman selling himself to us again and again (I am speaking in sales terms, meaning He is always working on convincing us, winning us over on why He is the right choice for us).  God's continual response throughout scripture is that He has got it covered, we just need to go...He will take care of the rest, He will make sure we have what we need, when we need it.  He just wants us to choose Him above all else.  It's so simple, but so hard.  

Here are the questions I am asking myself tonight and that I ask you to ask yourself:

Is there something that I know God wants me to be doing that I am not doing because of (insert reason)?  

What is it (thing to be doing and reason for not)?

What would God say about that?

Why am I choosing to believe myself over God?

Remember, He just wants us to choose Him above all.

No comments:

Post a Comment