Thursday, July 3, 2014

Friends

Think closely about the word "friend", what comes to mind? Loyalty, love, patience, kindness, someone who is "there for you"...and probably many other things.  Friendship is a deep bond, deeper than many of us may even realize until it is tested.  Just like steel, friendship is often forged in the hottest fire.  

Tonight's scripture passage: “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another. (John 15:12-17 ESV)

Jesus' command is to "love one another as I have loved you."  He continues on and speaks about how  there is no greater love than to lay one's life down for another and then...He calls us "Friends".  I don't know what goes through your mind when you read that, but for me, that is powerful.  Talk about having friends in high places!  When the Saviour calls you "friend", it just doestn't get any better than that.  He continues on to say that He chose us, that we would bear fruit in His name, and that we will love one another.  Take a look at the friendships that you have.  Are you loving on the people whom you call friends?  I hope so (I'm asking myself the same question, I'm not speaking as though I am exempt).  My sincere prayer and desire is that through Christ, I would be able to positively impact all who I am lucky enough to call friends...whether that is half a dozen close people or 10, 20, 100, or 1000.  Let us seek to LOVE eachother and to share in our burdens, to the glory of Christ.

On a personal note, I want to say a HUGE thank you to my own friends who not only hold me accountable, but show me Jesus each and every day, minute, and second of life.  Praise The Lord for you, and know that I love you right back.  John Dunn had it right..."No man is an island unto himself".  Thank you friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment