Today began much the same as many other days. When I walked outside to leave for the office, I was greeted by the cool morning air, the smell of fall upon the wind, and a flood of nostalgia that goes with it overtook me. There is something about a cool breeze, fog clinging closely to the ground, and beams of sunlight painting shadowed stripes to the earth that draws me to the splendor of the Creator. My senses seem heightened, smells aren't just smells, they're a journey to a specific place and time in my past. Tastes aren't just good, they are savory, mouth watering, something you want to remember for ever, because it reminds you of something fond in the past. Sounds aren't just ambient things in the background, they are a beautiful chorus of things remembered...leaves scratching along the ground, the wind blowing through trees, and the wooosh of air while driving with the windows down...all of them, a sweet melody drawing my mind to all that has been in my life. Though fall is not yet upon us, I am longing for it...that is when the grand gallery of the paintings of His Creation are on full display. Who can deny that there is a Creator after looking upon an autumn scene, sipping coffee or hot cider, reading a book (Robert Frost is a personal favorite), listening to the peaceful symphony as the wind blows in your face, and smelling the sweet and slightly bitter smell of autumn? This began my day on a decidedly positive note. I listened to music, talked to God (pray) as I often do on my drive to and from the office and I was burdened by these words ..."So What?".
Luke 14; 16-24
"16 But he said to him, A man once gave a great banquet and invited many.17 And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, Come, for everything is now ready.18 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.19 And another said, I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.20 And another said, I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.21 So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.22 And the servant said, Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.23 And the master said to the servant, Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled.24 For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet. "
I love this passage in Luke 14, because it talks specifically as to how we are easily caught up in the activities of day to day life, that we miss the celebration of life that God has placed right in front of us. We pass over the Glory of Him for the things of this world. He longs for us to celebrate with Him, to break bread with us, to spend time together. He wants the banquet hall to be full and not just of people, but of those who WANT to be there.
"So What?" Creation cries out in worship of the creator, the same way we ought to worship through our very existence. We should strive to have all that we are be a reflection of Christ's glory. I exhort you, the next time you are taken in by His creation, give pause and consider the Creator as creation points us directly to Him. Take Pause, go to the banquet, feast, celebrate, give thanks...and do it NOW...other things can wait...
No comments:
Post a Comment