Thursday, May 16, 2013

A light in a dark place

Turn on the news and one can not help but to feel discouraged by the current state of the world. I often hear it said "people are losing everything" and "everything I wave worked for is lost". People are losing jobs, homes, retirement savings, etc. A bleak situation causing many to throw in the chips, lose hope, and give up. I am heart broken as I hear stories of families taking the lives of families because they lost their job or their home was being foreclosed. What has happened in our society to allow ourselves to place such great value on "stuff". I hear in my mind ringing the words of the MasterCard commercial "...priceless. There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's MasterCard". These words ring in my head because the things in this world that can not be obtained through money are overlooked, the big things. Our immortal soul has 0 value to the world today, a personal relationship with the Son of the Living God is passed by in the pursuit of "stuff". It is my greatest prayer that our nation would see the foley of it's ways, that they would have ears to hear the voices of those would speak the truth, that our nation would repent and put value in that which is to be valued above all else. 

Darkness is a funny thing, your eyes do not get used to it, rather your eyes adapt to utilizing even the smallest of lights. The human eye is capable of picking up even a candle flickering in the wind at incredible distances when viewed in a completely dark environment. This dark time in the world, the destitution being experienced by so many is the time for the light of Christ to shine bright. Do not misunderstand, I am NOT preaching a prosperity gospel. Jesus is not the answer to your financial problems, joblessness, relationship, etc. No, rather Jesus is the answer to showing you that this whole thing called life is not about us, it is about Him, it isn't about our story, it is about His story. Does that mean God can't help your ____________, not at all. As a matter of fact, he will get you through it and then some (just maybe not in the way you expected). Through the many trials and tribulations in life, I would not give up any of them because I have learned so much through them. Sad to say, these are also the times in my life when I have clung the tightest to the Lord. These are the times when you clench your fist and hold tight to Him as you are beaten and battered. Yet, the experience is worth everything. I sometimes long just to have trouble for that type of closeness. O that our nation would turn to God and be a part of His story. 


"Save us, O Lord our God, And gather us from among the nations, To give thanks to Thy holy name,And glory in Thy praise. Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, From everlasting even to everlasting. And let all the people say, "Amen" Praise the Lord!" Psalm 106;47-48


My prayer for everyone who reads this is that we would live each second of life to the fullest, realizing that it is His story. That we would hold to the Lord everyday like we do when we have trouble. That the cry of our heart would be to bring Him glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment