I would venture a guess that there is not a single child ever raised that hasn't heard the expression "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all" or some variant of it. Apparently, this advice is important enough to have been repeated again and again throughout all of time, yet it is not important enough to heed. Allow me to provide an example. If you are a consumer of "Social Media", do a count of how many nice things you see and then count how many negative things that you see. I see posts where entire demographics are called derogatory or demeaning names just for having a certain political persuasion, religious affiliation, etc. I'm not saying that we all need to just agree to disagree, or not discuss these topics, it's the inflammatory nature of the conversations that I take issue with. I was reading in the book of James today and several verses stood out on this topic and I wanted to write about them tonight.
James 1;19-21
19 Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger;20 for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires.21 Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.
I am doing my very best not to mention specific topics as the topics are not the issue in my opinion. God's word clearly says in vs 20 "for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness that God requires". Now lets take a look at James 3;7-10
James 3;7-10
7 For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and sea creature, can be tamed and has been tamed by mankind,8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.9 With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse people who are made in the likeness of God.10 From the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, these things ought not to be so.
Ouch and GUILTY as charged! Let's review what God is telling us. God is laying it right out here and tells us that we all have a problem controlling our words and that our anger is a problem too (not all anger is bad, the Bible clearly speaks of a righteous anger also...a post for another time perhaps). The real words I hear God whispering to me and writing on my heart is this. We can not expect people to accept the good news of the Gospel if we continually lash out at people, call them names, afflict them with bitter and angry speech (posts, writings, letters, etc). God is not saying that we can not be an advocate for a cause, but He IS saying that we must do so in a way that will point people to salvation.
I'm issuing a challenge to myself and all who read this. Let us commit to improving our online presence, Social Media, etc by being quick to hear, slow to speak, and when we do speak, do so without filthiness or wickedness (no name calling!), and instead respond with meekness, and point people towards Jesus. It's ok to be against someone else's point of view and vehemently disagree, but instead of calling them a name or blowing up in anger, let's fall on our knees and pray for them. Maybe even let them know you are praying for them...and if you really want to make an impact, get with other believers and pray for that person also, and then keep praying for them, and don't forget to keep pointing them to Jesus. Maybe even tell them, "You know at one point in my life I would have reacted very differently because I disagree with you strongly on this topic, but I want you to know that Jesus loves you and HE changed my life..."
I agree, but I think there is a time that calling names is called for. For example, Matthew 23.
ReplyDeleteMatthew 23:15 NASB
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.
I'm probably splitting hairs here, but in my opinion, it's not name calling if it is the truth. If I routinely say that wearing red is wrong and then keep wearing red that would make me a hypocrite and saying that I'm a hypocrite would be accurate.
DeleteEver watch The Way of the Master? Neat show about giving the gospel. They talk about a principle evident in Christ's ministry - law to the proud, grace to the humble.
DeleteJames 4:6
But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, “God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”
Indeed. We did a small group study with it also, it was amazing!
ReplyDelete