I started thinking about the book of Esther. Chapter 1 of the book of Esther 1;1-7, starts with the King throwing this Lavish, HUGE party.
"Now
in the days of Ahasuerus, the Ahasuerus who reigned from India to
Ethiopia over 127 provinces,
2
in those days when King Ahasuerus sat on his royal throne in Susa,
the capital,
3
in the third year of his reign he gave a feast for all his officials
and servants. The army of Persia and Media and the nobles and
governors of the provinces were before him,
4
while he showed the riches of his royal glory and the splendor and
pomp of his greatness for many days, 180 days.
5
And when these days were completed, the king gave for all the people
present in Susa, the citadel, both great and small, a 1feast
lasting for seven days in the court of the garden of the king's
palace.
6
There were white cotton curtains and violet hangings fastened with
cords of fine linen and purple to silver rods and marble pillars, and
also couches of gold and silver on a mosaic pavement of porphyry,
marble, mother-of-pearl and precious stones.
7
Drinks were served in golden vessels, vessels of different kinds, and
the royal wine was lavished according to the bounty of the king.
This party was all about the King, his importance, and showing off. If you continue to read in Chapter 1, the King wants to "Show Off" his beautiful queen to his buddies and summons her to appear. She refuses and this irreverent attitude sparks a chain of events (read the rest of Esther, it's a great one.)
The reason I started thinking about the book of Esther was because we live in a nation that in comparison to the rest of the world, is at this Lavish, HUGE party, at the expense of God, yet we act like it is no big deal to be at the party much less feel required to appear if God "summoned" us.
I don't have any idea what it is like to be in the presence of royalty. I've never met a King, Queen, Prince, etc, but based on the power the Kings of the Old Testament wielded, they were not to be trifled with. I got to thinking about how a subject should treat his/her King. My mind kept going down this path and the Matt Redman song "Facedown" started playing over and over in my mind. I want to share some of the lyrics and continue down this path and what I hear God speaking to my heart.
"Welcomed
in to the courts of the King
I've
been ushered in to Your presence
Lord,
I stand on Your merciful ground
Yet
with every step tread with reverence"
WOW! What a beautiful picture (Especially after you read the book of Esther, I'm telling you, don't miss this one!) We are being welcomed, we are allowed in, asked, invited, Hallelujah for that! Ushered in to His Holy presence, abounding in mercy, and knowing that though His mercy is ever present, each step, no matter how small, is with reverence because HE is worthy. We are only at the party because HE chose to invite us to begin with.
Then Revelation 5;1-14 came to mind:
"1
Then I saw in the right hand of him who was seated on the throne a
scroll written within and on the back, sealed with seven seals.
2
And I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, Who is worthy
to open the scroll and break its seals?
3
And no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open
the scroll or to look into it,
4
and I began to weep loudly because no one was found worthy to open
the scroll or to look into it.
5
And one of the elders said to me, Weep no more; behold, the Lion of
the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can
open the scroll and its seven seals.
6
And between the throne and the four living creatures and among the
elders I saw a Lamb standing, as though it had been slain, with seven
horns and with seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent
out into all the earth.
7
And he went and took the scroll from the right hand of him who was
seated on the throne.
8
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the
twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp,
and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the
saints.
9
And they sang a new song, saying,
Worthy
are you to take the scroll
and
to open its seals,
for
you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God
from
every tribe and language and people and nation,
10
and you have made them a kingdom and priests to our God,
and
they shall reign on the earth.
11
Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures
and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads
and thousands of thousands,
12
saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to
receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and
blessing!
13
And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth
and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, To him who sits on
the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might
forever and ever!
14
And the four living creatures said, Amen! and the elders fell down
and worshiped."
Now after reading that let me share the Chorus of "FaceDown":
"And
I'll fall facedown
As
Your glory shines around
Yes,
I'll fall facedown
As
Your glory shines around
Around,
around"
After putting all that together, let me just say that Irreverent is NOT OK! I feel small, so very small, but in such a good way. Because we are ushered into HIS Presence. He wants us to come and dwell with HIM, HE wants us to be at the party, HE wants to Lavish us with HIS glory and our response should be one of falling face down and proclaiming that HE is Worthy, that HE is to receive Blessing, and Honor, and Glory and Might forever and ever! Amen!
Glenn
No comments:
Post a Comment